Sunday, May 6, 2012

Moving Forward in Faith

The first time my mother handed me a camera -- it seems like I was in grade school -- the point and shoot felt as if it belonged in my hands. I've been loving and making photographs every since. Occasionally, a scene touches me deeply. Such is the case with the image below.

Last Wednesday, my two year-old blue roan filly, Jetblue, experienced a colic episode. Colic is, by definition, a horse stomach ache that can be caused by a variety of things ranging from mild (gas) to deadly (a torsion).

Jetblue's colic was minor, but it followed a very serious and life threatening event back in January, one where Jetblue had to be rushed to Oregon State University's Veterinary Teaching Hospital for emergency surgery to correct a displaced colon.

Late last Thursday, after Lorenzo had hand grazed Jetblue and was leading her into the barn for the night and after it seemed like the imminent risk of the colic had been overcome, I made the image below. It's a sweet photo and one that I want to remember, a slice of normal following an all too scary brush with death.

Jetblue is way more than a horse for everyone here at Sweetgrass Ranch. Lorenzo and I watched as the filly was born and we've worked side by side to help prepare her for the world. She is, in a very real sense, the best of many folks' combined efforts. I'm not sure how it is for anyone else, but when Jetblue is in peril, it brings out my inner bear. I long to do battle with the demons at hand.

The future is always uncertain. Jetblue may outgrow her predilection toward colic or it may one day be her end. For now, we are blessed with her presence and we move forward in faith and the belief that we'll capably ply our resources to rescue Jetblue if need be.


Coming Into the Barn for the Night, A Slice of Normal

No comments:

Post a Comment