Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Horse's Report Card

Here at the ranch, we're always working to improve our horses' skill sets. A horse show can be a great way to measure progress, a sort of horsey report card.

There's are lots of ways to gauge success. Does my horse clip and bathe well in preparation for showing? Does he or she load and trailer to the show facility like a pro? Does the horse settle into his or her show stall swiftly? Is the horse willing and compliant in the warm-up arena? Can I both feel and see progress in our performance?

I suppose I could base how well my horses' perform on judges' marks, but there's way more to a successful show than one person's opinion and I believe most judges' would agree.

As I write this, I'm thinking of all the items that need to be loaded to the horse trailer, the things we'll do, the fun we'll have just getting away with our horses. It'll be good to get a sense of how far we've come and how far we've yet to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment