Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Search for Jetblue's Hay -- Understanding Carbohydrate and Starch Levels

There's more to hay than meets the eye. Just ask anyone with a laminitic, insulin-resistant, or EPSM horse and they'll tell you that you need to find a hay that's low in carbohydrates and starches.

In my case, I'm searching for the perfect hay for Jetblue, my two year-old blue roan filly. As a yearling, Jetblue experienced seven or eight colics ranging from mild to major. Then, this past January, the big one hit. On the advice of Dr. Barb Crabbe, I rushed Jetblue to Oregon State University, where she underwent emergency surgery for a displaced colon.

Jetblue's recovery was textbook and her surgeon, Dr. Jill Parker, saw nothing to indicate a systemic problem. A few months back, when Jetblue again began to experience mild colics, I didn't mess around -- I asked the experts for help. With Dr. Parker's advice and that of Dr. Steve Vredenberg and Dr. Jennifer Posey, I modified Jetblue's diet, supplements, worming, and exercise routine:

  1. Jetblue's orchard grass hay is soaked for 1 hour and fed in two portions -- soaking reduces the carbohydrate level of hay by as much as 30%
  2. Jetblue receives soaked Purina Wellsolve L/S as her primary grain -- Wellsolve is a low carb, low starch, high fiber complete feed -- along with soaked beet pulp, a blend of canola, olive, and sunflower oils, and Horse Guard vitamins
  3. Jetblue gets out on pasture for one or two hours daily, usually mornings because grass carb levels are lowest in the morning
  4. Jetblue's diet includes a dose of the daily pelleted wormer, Strongid
  5. Jetblue has completed one three-week course of Sand Clear and will commence another three-week course tomorrow
  6. Without fail, Jetblue is exercised -- ponied or lunged -- every day to help keep her system moving

So far, we've been incredibly blessed. Jetblue seems to be holding steady and there hasn't been any more colic episodes. I've been using this interim time to read and learn everything I can with respect to carbohydrates and starches in hay -- I want to help my filly. Honestly, there's way more to know about hay than I ever dreamed possible.

For example, most cold climate grasses -- like those grown in Oregon -- are higher in carbs and starches while native grasses and those grown in warmer climates typically have lower levels. The thermal swings or stresses applied to grass at time of harvest, whether the hay was rained on prior to bailing, and the actual time of harvest -- sugar levels tend to spike in the afternoon -- play a huge role in determining the carb and starch level of any given hay crop.

There's so much to know and, at times, I doubt my ability to sort it all out. For now, soaking Jetblue's orchard grass hay seems to be working just fine as I continue the quest to find her a low carb, low starch hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment