Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What Do You Do With a Broody Hen?

One of my Barnevelder hens has decided to go broody -- she's been sitting in the nest box all day, incubating eggs that are not fertile and will never hatch. For the past three days, I've had to reach up under her to collect eggs. Thankfully, the hen has been incredibly docile toward me.

This is a first for me, so I asked someone more knowledgeable than me, Chelsea Ibarra, for help. Chelsea is a great resource for me -- her response contained everything I needed to know and I've posted it below. Thanks, Chelsea! I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my broody hen.

Sue,

Broody chickens can go one of two ways: Sometimes if you keep taking their eggs away they will figure out that sitting on the nest is not going to do anything and they will get over it. OR, we have had hens that will just keep sitting on the nest until something hatches (but with un-fertalized eggs nothing ever will...) and they won't leave the nest to eat or drink, which is a big problem because they could survive that way for a while until some eggs hatch but if the eggs never do hatch you just have a chicken starving herself on a nest. If she is leaving the nest to eat and drink I wouldn't worry about it. If she is not you could try to put some food/ water near her to encourage her to eat. With our super broody hen we eventually purchased a couple chicks and snuck them under her late at night so that in the morning she just thought her chicks had "hatched." But if you give her baby chicks you have to make sure she is bold enough to keep the other chickens away from them since big chickens like to peck at the little ones.

Hope that helps.

Love,

Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment