Monday, September 24, 2012

'Tis the Season for Horse Camping and Trail Riding!

Hands down, fall is my favorite season for trail riding and horse camping. I love the crisp cool air at the early a.m. feeding, the camraderie of the fire pit, the leaves as they abandon their chlorphyll in favor of autumn reds and yellows.

We're lucky. Here in Oregon, we have lots of options for camping with our horses. One of our favorites is just thirty-minutes down the road. Stub Stewart State Park offers deluxe horse camping, complete with full RV hook ups and hot showers. Life just doesn't get any better, folks.

Last Friday, we took three of our horses -- Drifty, Irish, and Venus -- to Stub Stewart's horse camp site #10, a double site with both 4 and 2 horse corrals and generous parking. Here's a snapshot of our camp spot, a site nestled beneath the towering Douglas Firs.

 
Part of the fun of camping is enjoying a cup of coffee around the early morning campfire. Nick, Chelsea, and Rosie did just that. You can see Stub Stewart's awesome horse corrals in the background.
 
 
Since I have three really great saddles that fit the horses backs well, we brought just three horses and took turns exploring the vast network of trails at Stub Stewart. I stayed in camp for the second ride so I could play cards with my hubby, Don. For the record, I handily outscored him during a rousing game of Rummy. I wish I could say it was skill, but I'm more inclined to believe it was luck.
 
Before Rosie, Chelsea and Nick headed out, I snapped this photo of the trio. Back home, I was thrilled to see a wonderful image of the kids and the horses. It isn't often that you get a great shot of everyone!

 
My favorite hack was the last ride of the day. I loved the feel of Irish as he and I wove through the trees at a fast pace, our centers shifting in concert to neatly corner every switchback and curve. There was the thrill of a fast gallop up a steep grade, the way Irish's body lengthened as he surged to keep pace with Venus and Drifty.
 
Most of all, it was a day to be proud. Irish has been my project horse since he was four months old. Saturday, he safely and sensibly carried both Chelsea and Nick on long rides.

To see a short video clip of our ride, complete with hikers, their dog, and some lovely Vine Maples, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment