Saturday, September 1, 2012

WSSH Clinic: As Plutarch Would Say, "The Mind is Not a Vessel to be Filled but a Fire to be Kindled"

I'm all fired up and eager to apply what I learned at the Western States Stock Horse clinic held today and yesterday in Albany, Oregon.

Robert Hartley of Hartley Performance Horses, showed me how to get my horses to consistently soften and give at the poll. Like any great clinician, he gently pointed out riders' bad habits, offering exercises and advice. With Robert's guidance, I realized instant improvement.

With Jenny Stephen's help, I learned how to train a Reining spin and a roll back, moves that come in handy when working cattle, too.

JoLinn and Mitch Hoover of MJ Rising H Ranch reinforced good horsemanship, planning, and the importance of geometry in Trail course competition. Mitch did an awesome job with the Novice group of riders in the Working Cowhorse portion of the clinic. Thanks to him, my gelding and I can now "box" a cow.

There were two additional clinicians, too. Both were very helpful, but their names evade me at this hour and state of exhaustion.

Stacy Jo Hartley did a superb job of organizing and running the clinic. Through tomorrow, Stacy Jo is coordinating the WSSH show held in conjunction with the clinic.

WSSH is an exciting and relatively new association, one with a lot of positive energy. The clinic/show format is well-suited to anyone looking to improve their horsemanship and performance. I hope to take horses and compete at WSSH shows in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment