Sunday, January 8, 2012

If the World Were a Logical Place, Men Would Ride Side-Saddle

The amusing title line for this post is a quote from American writer Rita Mae Brown.

I sold a saddle today, a beautiful custom buckaroo-style saddle built by the legendary Monte Beckman of Pendleton, Oregon.  In the past couple of years, I've owned two Beckmans -- this drop-dead gorgeous one and a smaller, more functional saddle that's been excellent for starting colts.  Both are built on a Modified Association tree, meaning they're suitable for young horses or narrower horses.

Truth be told, the saddle I sold today never fit my horses well.  Sure, it was pretty, but there's more to a saddle than the way it looks.  In terms of importance, saddle fit is at the top of my list when it comes to training, showing, or pleasure riding my horses.  I want my horses to be comfortable, so they're able to focus on the things I'm asking them to do.  If a saddle is ill-fitting, my horse is going to be cranky.  And if I fail to correct the problem, it can lead to permanent nerve damage on my horse's back.

It's a little like trying to run a marathon in shoes that are too small.  You wouldn't do it and you shouldn't expect your horse to do it either.

The money from today's sale will be "flipped" into a new saddle, a Hill View Farms Evolutionary saddle with flexible delrin panels that adjust and conform to the horse's back.  Proprietress Cathy Sheets-Tauer explains saddle fit and construction better than anyone I know.  I highly recommend visiting and viewing the saddle fitting and saddling videos available through the Hill View Farms site:  http://www.hillviewfarms.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment