Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spring Is Nature's Way of Saying, "Let's Party!"

The title line for this post is a quote from actor and comedian Robin Williams.

Yesterday, I asked my husband, Don, to help me roll away the rocks that cover the girls' graves.  Sounds kind of hinky, doesn't it?

The girls refer to Mighty, Jane, Shadow and Mimi -- four kitties that we loved and eventually lost.  Last fall, as a tribute to the girls and a nod to this great big engine we call life, I planted bulbs over each of the graves in the Sweetgrass Ranch pet cemetary.

Lorenzo helped me plant bulbs other places, too, and when I saw the first shoots emerging, I knew it was time to check on the girls.  Here's how it looked after we moved the rocks away.


If you believe in science, the second law of thermodynamics says that energy is neither created nor destroyed -- it just changes form.  I know the girls have gone on to become something else and I like to think I see them in the newly emerged plants, the beautiful blossoms to come.  For me, this transformation is symbolic of new life and eternal spring.

Robin Williams is right.  Life is short and meant to be lived boldly with lots of parties.  I'm thinking we'll have one with music, lots of good food, and dancing.

As for cats, just one of the original five remain.  Bear, our barn kitty, is having a hard time keeping up with Sweetgrass's expanding mole population.  We may need to add a kitten or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment