Thursday, January 19, 2012

Taking Bold Measures -- Overcoming Loss, Grief and Fear

The last time I watched a horse being lead down the hallway toward the surgical suites at Oregon State University's Veterinary Teaching Hospital haunts me.  It was over two-and-a-half years ago and the horse was my favorite trail riding, colt ponying, and cow chasing gelding, Jack.  True, I stood by and watched as the surgeon sorted through a sedated Jack's inflamed intestines and bowels.  Numb, I nodded as she had pointed to the huge beaker of bloody abdominal fluid.  The last time I truly saw Jack alive, though, was in that hall.

So yesterday afternoon, when a surgical team prepared and walked my filly, Jetblue, down that very same hall, I was tempted to be terrified.  Instead, I snapped a photo and imagined that this time would be different.  Jetblue was young and generally healthy.  Her abdominal fluid was minimal and completely normal. 

Thankfully, the surgery for Jetblue's displaced bowel went well and I got to touch Jetblue before returning home last night.  So far, the prognosis is a guarded good to excellent.

Today, I spoke with Jetblue's surgeon, Dr. Jill Parker.  My filly seems to be doing well in this critical thirty-six hour post-surgery period.  She's calm and has even managed to produce several road apples.  Her blood protein level is a little low, but Dr. Parker remains hopeful.  If Jetblue makes it through this night, the odds of a full and complete recovery are very good.

The image of this particular hallway at OSU has held me captive for a long time.  Yesterday was as much about overcoming loss, grief, and fear as it was about taking bold measures to save Jetblue.  It was a big lesson.
Jetblue Being Taken to Emergency Surgery at OSU's Veterinary Teaching Hospital

Tomorrow, Lorenzo and I are going to knock off early and spin down to Corvallis to visit our girl.  Until then, please keep Jetblue in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment