Monday, January 23, 2012

When It Rains, It Pours

The title line for this post is an American proverb that seems particularly relevant since we're due for an inch of rain tomorrow.

Rain isn't the only thing that's abundant at Sweetgrass lately.  Mayhem has had a good run here, too.  After suffering for a week plus with a good deal of pain in my left ribcage, I learned that Whisper's recent gift to me, the unexpected flying lesson, produced three broken ribs.  Gosh, thanks Whisper.  I guess my fall wasn't as graceful as I had thought...

What does it all mean?  No riding for the next five weeks, which is our prime season for getting the horses ready for the 2012 horse shows.  The horses will still get worked on days when the weather cooperates.  Lorenzo has volunteered to both lunge and put rides on all of them and Nick will start tuning Gin up next week.  My guess is that Jetblue is going to need some time to recover, so that leaves Whisper, Irish, and Drifty for Lorenzo.  He's more than up to the task.

Actually, after Whisper dumped me little over a week ago, Lorenzo hopped on and put the mare through some serious paces.  He's always been an amazing horseman and he's made stellar progress on his equitation this past year.  As I watched him ride Whisper, I was impressed and proud and I told Lorenzo so.

For the next five weeks, Lorenzo will be focusing on quality work time for Irish and Drifty.  In the past, I've found this to be a very effective training mode prior to show season.   If all goes well, we'll ramp up to more intense training for a month or so before competition, leaving a few weeks ahead of the shows for more relaxed sessions.

When he returns from Montana, Nick will begin a conditioning program from Gin.  Our goal is to find him an awesome show home with a youth rider who is involved in 4-H or high school equestrian team. This gelding is mega-talented and his many gifts need to be exercised!

Whisper is coming off a very long lay-off for a multitude of lameness issues, so our goal for her will be much different.  Lorenzo will work to condition her, assess her for fitness, and ready her for a new home.
In the meantime, Livestrong.com has some excellent advice for mending broken ribs:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/11104-treat-fractured-ribs/

No comments:

Post a Comment