Monday, February 27, 2012

God Smiled at Me Today

God smiled at me today and it was good.  VERY GOOD.

Having worked on mending three broken ribs this past six weeks, this was THE day.  A fine day to ride, too, with the air cool and crisp and a sky without clouds.  Being astride my gelding, Irish, was so incredibly lovely, so powerful and liberating, so immensely endearing that I am still, as of nine p.m. this night, giddy and yearning for more.  Tomorrow.

There were other blessings as well.  The first was an answer to a prayer.  Following an extensive job search, my son, Nick, landed a part-time work today.  Work that will provide income and the flexibility to pursue an internship with Oregon State Parks.  YAHOO!  Go Nick!

Next, Dr. Megan Jurasek of Banks Veterinary Service ultrasounded the tendons and ligaments in Whisper's left rear fetlock to hock region.  Miraculously, the deep flexor tendon, suspensory ligaments, and tendon sheath are in very good shape.  Running through the various options, Dr. Megan helped me design a "low-impact" exercise and supplement (Legend) program to make Whisper pasture sound.  For the first time in well over a month, I am guardedly optimistic.

Finally, the good doctor and I worked together to get Sombra's, Lei Lei's, and Sprite's nails trimmed.  All three dogs were very good sports, a big improvement over going to the vet clinic for a trim.

While these events seem discrete, they "feel" connected.  It was an incredibly difficult start to this year -- broken ribs, emergency life-saving colic surgery for Jetblue, and what could have been a terminal injury for Whisper.  Now, things are on the upswing.  Good and strong and comforting, the pulse of the universe surrounds me.  Like a pasture fence post at dusk, I am again aglow and connected.

God, if you're still awake, I'm smiling right back at you!

No comments:

Post a Comment