Friday, February 24, 2012

Making the Switch to Dr. Megan Jurasek, DVM

Recently, I decided to try a relatively new veterinarian in our area.  I had been meaning to do so for some time and a single event at the old clinic -- a doctor insisting on prescribing a medication that could potentially make an aggressive dog more so -- provided added incentive.

It's a good thing, too.  The move brought me back to someone I've known for a long time, Dr. Megan Jurasek of Banks Veterinary Clinic.  I first met Megan when my son and daughter, Nick and Rosie participated in Washington County's Horse 4-H program.  Megan was one of the older kids, a smart, funny, kind young lady with some very big dreams.  Now, she's taking care of my family's four dogs and sole cat.

A week ago, I took my ailing nineteen year-old Beagle/Whippet, Princess, to Dr. Megan.  Princess's system was a mess.  The pain medication she'd been taking had wreaked havoc with her system and she appeared to be failing.  Within hours of seeing our new vet, Princess was on the mend and I felt better,too.  A few days ago, Princess was frolicking in the living room with our yearling Miniature Pinscher/Rat Terrier, Sprite.  It's been an amazing transformation.

The best part of seeing Dr. Megan is the sense that we are working together to manage Princess's care.  That may mean skipping certain vaccines or opting to use flea control only if necessary in lieu of a new heart medication or prescription food that keeps Princess's system balanced.  Dr. Megan is genuinely mindful of my desire to reconcile Princess's needs with my budget, something that never seemed to occur with the old clinic.

Making the switch feels good and I'm happy to be supporting one of the "kids" I know, a smart, funny, kind young woman who is well on her way to achieving her dreams.

"I hope to make people realize how totally helpless animals are, ow dependent on us, trusting as a child must that we will be kind and take care of their needs...  [They] are an obligation put on us, a responsibility we have no right to neglect, nor to violate with cruelty." ~James Herriot

No comments:

Post a Comment