Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Safe Place for Drifty

More and more, I'm convinced that my mare, Drifty, is here to teach me about Natural Horsemanship. Started lightly as a long two year-old and then commissioned to a broodmare band, Drifty never had the benefit of one-on-one training early on. So working with her requires great care, consistency, and finesse. Now ten, Drifty is in some ways like a youngster, a three year-old filly.

My challenge -- and it's a big one -- is to do a good job of providing Drifty a safe place for every right action. When things don't go quite how I expect them to, I need to realize it's not a big deal. Instead, I need to slow down, ask again, and reward Drifty's try. In this, patience and time are my allies.


Drifty
As with so many things my life, anger has no place in horse training. If Drifty seeks to bully or improve her position through force, there's always a consequence. The consequence can be constructed of something that challenges Drifty or is a lot of hard work, but it can never be a punishment. Just a consequence without anger.

Natural Horsemanship doesn't mean letting Drifty do what she or he wants to do -- that would be foolish -- but it does require strong leadership on my part. Clear, consistent, firm, and kind leadership that provides Drifty with a safe place. Leadership and the time and patience to help guide Drifty to that safe place.

No comments:

Post a Comment